The Multiple Site Manager empowers you to create and manage multiple “websites” (Sites) from a single ExpressionEngine installation. These Sites can use your existing domain, sub-domains, a brand new domain, or a combination of the above. Each Site is has its own set of preferences, templates, and channels. This lets you leverage a single ExpressionEngine installation across multiple internet properties.
Think of the Multiple Site Manager as converting a one-building school house into a University campus. The student body (Member database) is campus wide but every department (Site) has its own building (templates), its own way of doing things (preferences), unique curriculum (channels), student lounge (Site specific forums, requires Discussion Forums 2.0+), and rules about what students can do (Member Group permissions are Site specific). Any department on Campus can take advantage of the schools resources (Modules, Plugins, Extensions).
That’s not a perfect analogy but it conveys the scope of what the Multiple Site Manager enables you to do from a single ExpressionEngine installation.
It’s important to understand a few key terms before reviewing the rest of the documentation.
- _Multiple Site Manager_: The ExpressionEngine Add-on that enables management of multiple websites from a single ExpressionEngine installation.
- _Original Site_: The existing ExpressionEngine installation when you installed the Multiple Site Manager. This Site cannot be deleted and will remain if the Multiple Site Manager is removed.
- _Site_: A unique “website” created using the Multiple Site Manager that is not the Original Site.
- _Site specific_: Refers to items that apply to a single Site and can be set per Site.
- _Installation wide_: Refers to items that apply to the entire ExpressionEngine installation and are not Site Specific.