Retired Documentation: You are using the documentation for version 1.7.3 which was retired in 2013. Go here for the latest version documentation or check here for your available upgrades to ExpressionEngine 3.
ExpressionEngine 1.7.3 User GuideLast updated June 6, 2012
Areas of Documentation
The terms and conditions under which ExpressionEngine can be legally used.
Server requirements for running ExpressionEngine
A list of new features, changes, bug fixes in the current version
Step-by-step installation instructions and detailed instructions for updating to the most current release.
Start with a big picture overview then learn the fundamentals by creating a simple two page website.
Detailed information regarding the ExpressionEngine Control Panel and its many features.
General information regarding ExpressionEngine including data caching, text formatting, Spam Protection, and more.
Learn to use ExpressionEngine's advanced templating and tagging system to build dynamic pages.
Reference guide for incorporating ExpressionEngine's many modules and features into your pages.
Manage multiple websites from a single ExpressionEngine installation (sold separately)
Troubleshooting tips and guidelines for common questions.
ExpressionEngine's API, functions, and classes for web developers interested in developing extensions, modules, and plugins.
- Installation Instructions
- Updating Instructions
- Migration and Other Information
- ExpressionEngine Overview
- Quick Start Tutorial: Building a simple two page EE site
- Making the most of ExpressionEngine
- Getting Help: Technical Support and Resources
- Understanding ExpressionEngine URLs
- Text Formatting Features
- Backing up Your ExpressionEngine Database
- Spam Protection
- Throttling Control and 404 Pages
- Date Localization
- Caching and Performance
- Hidden Configuration Variables
- Pinging ExpressionEngine.com
- Using Extensions
- Using Language Packs
- pMcode Reference
- Introduction to Templates and Tags
- Global Template Variables
- Embedding Templates in Other Templates
- Hidden Templates
- Date Variable Formatting
- Using Plugins
- Template Hit Counters
- Saving Templates as Text Files
- Using PHP in Templates
- Commenting Template Code
- Using the Template Library
- Quick Reference Chart
- Difference between add-on types