Retired Documentation: You are using the documentation for version 1.7.3 which was retired in 2013. Go here for the latest version documentation or check here for your available upgrades to ExpressionEngine 3.
We have created a Server Wizard that will verify whether your server is compatible with ExpressionEngine. To use the Wizard:
- Download and unzip the file.
- Upload the file to your server.
- Point your web browser to the file. Example: http://example.com/wizard.php
To create a site with ExpressionEngine, you must have at least minimal experience with HTML and understand how to create a website. Further, you must be familiar with the process of uploading files to your server via FTP.
- PHP version 4.1 or newer
- MySQL version 3.23.32 or newer
- Your hosting account must have the following minimum MySQL grant privileges for database tables:
- Your MySQL server must not be running in Strict mode.
- 10 MB of free space on your server for the ExpressionEngine software and modules.
- 2 MB of Database space. Note: The database will increase in size as you add new content.
Some features of ExpressionEngine are optional to use. However, in order to be able to use them you will need to meet their requirements.
- CAPTCHAs and Watermarking. Your server must have the GD (or GD 2) library compiled into PHP in order to use the CAPTCHAs feature or the watermarking feature in the Photo Gallery Module.
- Image Thumbnailing. To take advantage of the image thumbnailing feature your server must support one of these image manipulation protocols:
- GD (or GD 2)
- Pings and Trackbacks. Your server must have XML support compiled into PHP in order to send pings and Trackbacks.
- Spell Checking. In order to be able to use the spell check feature in ExpressionEngine, your server must have PHP compiled with pspell support or be able to contact remote servers though PHP. If you are unsure if this is the case, contact your Host or server admin.
If you are hosted on an Apache server it needs to be configured with AcceptPathInfo On for the URLs to work with the default settings. Most server are configured this way, but if yours is not then there are three options:
- Manually turn that feature on using a .htaccess file.
- Contact your Host or server admin to have them enable the option.
- Run your site using query strings. See the "Query String" section of the Explanation of URLs page for details.
URL Segment Support
If the Server Wizard lists URL Segment Support as Unsupported, you will need to run your ExpressionEngine site using query strings. The "Query String" section on the Explanation of URLs page contains the needed details.