You are using the documentation for version 4.3.8. Go here for the latest version.
Channel Fields Tab¶
Control Panel Location:
This tab allows you to create and assign fields and field groups to your channel.
- Access settings: Design & Content
- Channels: Create Channel Fields
- Channels: Edit Channel Fields
- Channels: Delete Channel Fields
A multi-select comprised of all field groups. A channel can have multiple field groups or no field groups.
A multi-select comprised of all fields, including those in field groups. A channel can have any combination of fields and field groups, and fields can be used in more than one channel.
New Field Group Modal Fields¶
Field group name.
Fields to include in the new field group.
New Field Modal Fields¶
ExpressionEngine includes the following types of fields for use in your Channel Entries (add-ons can include their own as well):
- Checkboxes: Checkbox fields display a list of options in the publish form that you choose by clicking the checkboxes.
- Date: Date fields are designed to store dates. Next to the
date field in your PUBLISH page you’ll see a calendar and two options
for your date:
- Localized: The date will be localized to the timezone of each user browsing your site.
- Fixed: The date will NOT be localized and instead shown at the exact date/time you submit.
- File: File fields store uploaded files and images, and utilize the build in file browser for your publishers to upload and insert files.
- Grid: The Grid field in ExpressionEngine provides a way to group fieldtypes in repeatable rows.
- Multi Select: Multi Select field types give a list of options in a standard multiple selection form control, letting publishers choose any or none of the available items.
- Radio Buttons: Radio buttons are similar to Checkbox fields, except that you can only select one of the items from the list.
- Relationships: The Relationship field is a special and very powerful field type. It enables you to create relationships between two or more channels so you can show content from one entry within another.
- Rich Text Editor: The Rich Text Editor is a text entry box with multiple lines that uses the built-in Rich Text Editor.
- Select Dropdown: Select fields are simply a standard HTML <select> drop-down list. You can define the contents of the list manually or pre-populate it from another field.
- Text: The Text field is a single input line for text. It is the type of field you might use for a title, name, or other short information.
- Textarea: The Textarea field is a standard text entry box with multiple lines. This is often used for the body text of entries.
This is the descriptive name for the field. This is a required field and it may contain spaces or punctuation. Unlike the Field Name, the label does not need to be unique within the system, so you can use the same descriptive label on multiple fields in different field groups. The label is what will be displayed next to the field on the entry form in your PUBLISH page.
This is the internal or “short name” for the field. This is a required field and must be a single word with no spaces or punctuation. The field name must be unique within the system, which means that you cannot have two field groups each containing a field with the field name of “body”. The short name is typically used as the variable name in your Channel Entries Tag
Some words are reserved and cannot be used. Please see Reserved Words for details.
These are instructions for authors on how or what to enter into the field when submitting an entry. The instructions will appear below the Field Label in your PUBLISH page.
You may determine whether this field is required. If the field is required and the user leaves it blank, upon submission they will receive an error message prompting them to correct it.
Include in search?¶
This determines whether the contents of this field will be included in searches if someone elects to search within the entry content. If you do not select this field then searches will ignore content stored in this field.
Here you determine whether or not the field will be shown or hidden on the publish page by default. If you choose “No”, the field will be collapsed by default and in order to enter content into the field you will first have to open using the link provided on the publish page.