You are using the documentation for version 4.3.8. Go here for the latest version.
Control Panel Location:
- Access settings: Design & Content
- Template Management Allowed actions: Create New Templates
- Template Management Allowed template groups
The name of the Template. This must be a single word with no spaces. You may use the letters a-z, the numbers 0-9, and the underscore and hyphen/dash characters. You should refrain from creating all-numeric Template names as they can cause confusion with Entry IDs used in URLs.
Here you may specify the type of Template:
- Webpage: This is the most common type of Template. Unless you specifically need one of the other two types you should use this one.
- CSS: This type is used for Stylesheets. It tells ExpressionEngine to serve the Template as “text/css” MIME type. Further, the Template will not be parsed for EE Tags like normal. The Template is served “as-is”.
- RSS Page: Used for RSS and Atom syndication feeds. It tells ExpressionEngine to serve the Template as “text/xml” MIME type.
- Static: Used for static content with absolutely no ExpressionEngine rendered tags. Useful for HTML design elements embedded in other templates.
- XML: Used for outputting XML pages with EE. It tells ExpressionEngine to send “text/xml” MIME type server headers when being viewed.