This document describes how to manually update ExpressionEngine 3.0 or later.
Note that ExpressionEngine supports One Click Updates as of version 4.0 or later.
Important: If you are upgrading from ExpressionEngine 2, you must first upgrade to ExpressionEngine 3 using version 3 files and instructions. Once you have completed that update, you may return to this page and upgrade to the latest version. Please visit Upgrading from ExpressionEngine 2.
- Back-up your ExpressionEngine database and files.
- Download the latest release of ExpressionEngine and unzip the files to a folder on your computer.
Note: Check your third-party add-ons to see if you need updated versions for v4. Most add-ons do not need updating from v3/v4, or only need minor changes. Your add-on vendor(s) can let you know what, if anything, you need to do for your installed add-ons.
Working either locally with your backed up files, or on the server (not recommended), copy the following files from the newly downloaded release to your site:
Note: If you’ve moved your system directory, make sure to change both
admin.php to point to the correct directory. And don’t forget to update all
admin.php files if you’re running your control panel from multiple Sites!
Go to your site’s control panel URL (typically found at
https://example.com/system/) and follow the on-screen instructions to update ExpressionEngine.
You’re Done! ExpressionEngine is now fully updated. But before you go…
- If the updater could not automatically rename the installer, rename or remove
system/ee/installer/directory manually. The installer directory can be safely removed after installing ExpressionEngine.
- To enable one-click updating, make sure your file permissions are all set.
- Review file permissions if something isn’t working quite right.